Our country is in the midst of a major health crisis with unprecedented levels of obesity, heart disease and diabetes, which are all influenced by food and lifestyle. Did you know…
• 1/3 of adults are obese.
• 1/3 of adults are overweight.
• Only 1/3 of adults are NOT obese or overweight.
• 17% of children are obese.
• 26% of deaths are due to heart disease.
• 81 million have diabetes or are pre-diabetic.
3 not-so-secret secrets to smarter cooking:
1. Use Smart Fats – Not all fat is bad. Opt for unsaturated (e.g., olive oil) over saturated fats such as butter. But still use them in moderation because all fats are loaded with calories.
2. It’s Not All About the Meat – Meat is a great source of protein but it’s also a big source of saturated fat in many people’s diets. So eat small amounts of lean meat, fish and poultry. Fill up the rest of your plate with healthy vegetables and whole grains.
3. Use Sweeteners Judiciously – Sugars of any kind, whether corn syrup, white sugar, brown sugar, honey or maple syrup, add significant calories without any nutritive value.